Tuesday, May 4, 2010

First ad!


First ad!, originally uploaded by jessparker.
This month's 'Melbourne's Child' is out and it features the first White Spark Photography ad. Very exciting. It's in a good location too, being on the Party Directory pages (and as the only photography listing on the opposite page).  I hope that parent's will save this issue or the party directory for when the time comes to plan their child's birthday. 

My first caller was treated to a bad case of muttering and "Um..."s so there's a lot to work on there!  I'm well aware that I'm not very good on the phone and so I'm going to need to work on some scripts and potential Q&As so that I can hopefully come across a little better.  This I share as I know many creatives will have the same issues and can maybe gain some strength from another creative bumbling her way through ;)

Meanwhile I'm trying to get into networking and that's been an interesting experience.  I went to a local council networking evening last night for the first time and left feeling a little traumatised after doing a terrible self-promo and then being berated by a woman for being far too narrow in my marketing (ie.children's parties).  But I did meet a couple of interesting people including someone with a friend that does videos of children who I'm hoping might be interested in doing some work with me.

I still feel like a kid pretending to be an adult at these functions but I know that this stuff just takes time to relax into; practice makes perfect.  Onwards and upwards.

I've still got and hundred and one things to do, including some things I find very difficult like Business Activity Statements.  My father may be an accountant but he certainly didn't pass on any skills to me in that area.  Off I go to crunch numbers and rifle through a box full of receipts (cringe).

No comments:

Post a Comment